One of the key interventions by AQNEL is to engage in public legal education through technology.
The age of computers has opened up the world with endless possibilities as far as learning is concerned, and legal awareness should not be excluded.
The observance of Constitutional law principles largely relies on its interpretation and its analysis. While the content of the Constitution is documented and known, Kenya’s Constitutional interpretation and analysis is documented in scattered treatises that are unofficial and sometimes based on the will of avid researchers and academics in the area. This fact is enforced by the reality that the 2010 Constitution is less than a decade old and is yet to have its principles tested.
AQNEL considers that one of the ways to ensuring the consistency of tracking Constitutional Law is through digitization enabled by technology. See for instance the case of the United States Congress which provides, officially the Constitution Annotated, Supreme Court Cases, organized by topic, cases and so on.
In this way, public interest and awareness is served and a way is created to monitor Constitutional Development is created.
- In the area of Constitutional Law, we have created an Android Application on the constitution of Kenya (see mykenyanconstitution.com), which has the following capacities:
- Article by Article explanation
- Cases related to various articles
- Audio Enabled for access in case of visual impairment (audio is to be studio recorded.)
- Ability to access all the above in English or Kiswahili
The link to the current version of the app is available here.
2. AQNEL through its brand SheriaTips, which is dedicated to public legal education, also works in partnerships and is in the course of implementing a project on mobile based education on sexual exploitation and labour rights.
3. In the area of Criminal Justice, AQNEL is presently working on CrimeLEX. This web based application consists of ALL known criminal offences in Kenya for which one may be arrested. In order to enhance legal research and jurisprudence around the offences, the application from time to time attempts to synchronize each of the offences with relevant cases. One may search under an Act of Parliament, under a specific theme/profession/category, or may peruse through the offences alphabetically. Each offence displays the penalty. One may search a criminal offence under any Act of Parliament or under a Theme.